CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 18, 2008

Appendicitis & Surgery!!

It all happened on Sunday. Jonathan felt fine all day long then right before we went to bed he said he started to not feel very well. Well, after that he was up every 45 minutes running to the bathroom, dry heaving, and having some other problems. At 4:30am I called his boss to tell him what was going on. 5am Jonathan decides to take himself to the ER. I tried to convince him to wait a few hours so I could call around and find a babysitter so I could drive him and be there. He decided not to wait and tried to convince me that it probably wasn't a big deal so I went back to bed while he headed to the hospital. 9am I call him and the doctors saw that his white blood cell count was really high but they didn't know why so they ordered some more tests including a CAT-Scan. 12pm Jonathan calls me back and says that they found out he has appendicitis and has to have surgery and take out his appendix. Apparently it was really bad but hadn't burst yet...luckily. He was on the waiting list for surgery so he didn't know exactly when it would be done. So I start making calls around to see if anyone could watch the kids and drop me off at the hospital (Jonathan had the car with the carseats in it). I started with the FRG (Family Readiness Group)-Basically a network of all the miltary spouces in Jonathan's unit, it's the way information/help is passed around. No answer from anyone from the FRG. Then I started calling some friends that I knew, no answer there either. Then I tried my visiting teachers, the Relief Society Prez, and the Bishop. No answer from any of them. For three hours, I tried to get ahold of ANYONE with no success. 2:45pm Jonathan calls and says he's getting prepped for surgery, then a few minutes later Snead, a guy from Jonathan's unit, dropped off the Jeep so I finally had a way to get to the hospital, but still no one to watch the kids. I'm starting to freak out and become really emotional. Being 7 months pregnant and having Jonathan getting ready to be cut open wasn't helping with trying to stay calm. 3pm Rachelle, Snead's wife, comes over and says she's watching the kids...Finally! So I make it there right after they take him to surgery. A little over an hour later he's out of the OR and talking. Everything went well. That night Jonathan's whole entire chain of command called or came in and checked up on him and asked if there was anything I needed. Well, if they would have called and asked when they all first found out he was going to have surgery I wouldn't have had to stress out about if I was going to be able to make it there or not!!!! Anyway, it was very nice that they at least checked on him and asked. He came home early the next day and is currently at home annoying me for the next two weeks :D, then on light duty for two weeks after that. He's doing well, just sore. Well, that was our exciting week!

4 comments:

Mom/Lisa said...

I'm so sorry I'm so far away. I wish I could have been there to help. We're glad you're all ok now. Hang in there!

Carl and Starla said...

Wow, that sounds a little hectic and stressful! Sorry you had to go through that. I don't know if you
remember, but Katie had appendix rupture in the 3rd grade. I am glad that you Jon is recovering and that he gets to "annoy" you for the next 2 weeks. Also, congrats on being pregnant! I didn't hear about that.

Dizzy Kate said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jon. I hope everything heals well and that he will be able to get back to normal quickly. I wish we lived closer. That would be so much fun to hang out with the Ctibor clan.

Ryan and Angela said...

I am so glad it was his apendix and nothing more serious. I am sorry I couldn't have watched your kids for you.